Common Questions and Facts

What type of auto insurance do I need?
Florida law requires you to have a minimum policy of $10,000 of personal injury protection insurance and $10,000 of property damage liability insurance if you own a motor vehicle in Florida.

What does Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance cover?
Personal Injury Protection insurance is also known as “No-Fault” insurance. It will pay for 80% of your medical expenses and 60% of your lost wages regardless of who is at fault for the accident. It will protect any resident member of your household and covers your child if they are injured in a school bus. PIP also protects passengers who are in your car who do not live with you or if they do not own a car.

What amount of PIP deductibles should my insurance company offer me?
Insurance companies are required to offer deductibles in the amount of $250, $500 and $1,000. The higher the amount of a deductible you choose the lower your insurance premium should be. It is suggested that you select a zero deductible for your PIP insurance.

Do I need to list every driver that lives in my household on my policy?
Yes in order to be protected by the PIP benefits you must list every resident member of your household that drives or owns a vehicle. In addition most insurance companies require you to list everyone who lives in your household that is over the age of 14.

What is Med-Pay?
Med-Pay is additional medical insurance that is able to pick up where your PIP insurance leaves off. Some examples of med-pay coverage would be when it pays for the 20% balance of your PIP insurance and it will also pick up after your PIP insurance has been exhausted.

What does PD stand for?
Property Damage is coverage for damage you may cause to someone else's vehicle. Most PD policy's have a minimum limit of $10,000. It is suggested that you select a higher limit because new cars may cost more to repair and they should not have to sue you for additional costs for damages. PD does not pay for property damage to your damaged vehicle.

What protection can I purchase for my car?
There are two types of coverage you can purchase to protect your vehicle if it is damaged in an accident, Comprehensive and Collision insurance. Collision insurance pays for damages regardless of who causes the accident. Typically it will have a dediuctible. By one that is affordable to you. If you damage a car and the cause is your own fault you will have coverage to pay for it to be fixed. If some one else damages your car you have the option of getting it repaired quickly then your insurance company will go after the responsible parties insurance for your deductible, especially when there is a dispute over liability.

What is Bodily Injury insurance and do I need to have it?
Bodily Injury insurance pays for serious injuries to others that may result from an automobile accident. It is recommended that you purchase the minimum coverage policy of $10,000 per person / $20,000 per accident.

Why is it a good idea to purchase B.I. coverage?
Bodily Injury insurance will protect you if you injure someone else in an accident. It will proved insurance money to pay for the other person's medical claims and if you are sued your insurance company will provide you with an attorney to defend your case.

What is Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorist coverage?
UM coverage pays for bodily injuries to yourself and other passengers of your vehicle when the at-fault party does not have adequate insurance to pay for your injuries. It can also provide protection for you and your family if you are passengers in someone else's vehicle. It further protects you and your family if you injured in the street as a pedestrian or a bicyclist.

What is the difference between Stackable and Non-Stackable UM insurance?
If you have stackable insurance you are able to combine the limits of your policies that you have on all of your vehicles per accident.

If my car has been towed to a storage facility what should I do?
You need to get your car out of the storage facility as soon as possible. The insurance company will only pay for it to be there for a reasonable amount of time and the longer you keep it there the more they will charge you in storage fees. If possible store your vehicle at your residence or contact an attorney to get it resolved as soon as possible.

Can I get a rental car if I am in an accident?
Insurance companies only pay for a reasonable amount for the rental car and for only a reasonable amount of time to rent it. If your car is drivable and is only in need of some cosmetic repairs you may only be entitled to rent a car for the amount of time it is in the repair shop. If your vehicle is not drivable you should check with an attorney regarding the rental of a car and how much you are allowed to spend. We suggest that you purchase rental coverage on your policy to enable you to get a rental vehicle if you are in need of one.

Should I get additional coverage from the rental car company?
If you are leaving a deposit with your Visa or Mastercard you may not need to purchase additional insurance because they may cover it. You should check first with them to ensure that you would be covered. You may also want to check with your own insurance company to see if you have collision coverage that would cover a rental vehicle.

What are some good insurance companies that I should look at?
You should look at reputable companies like Geico, State Farm, Progressive, AIG, Travelers and Liberty Mutual. If you would like to find out more information about complaints for a specific insurance company you may call The Department of Financial Services Consumer Helpline at 1-800-342-2762.

Should I wait until my policy expires before I change to another insurance company?
No. You should switch your policy before the expiration date and make sure that it is effective immediately. You do not want to go without insurance. You should always get new insurance before you cancel the old policy.

What should I do if I am involved in a personal injury accident?
Click here to view our Personal Injury checklist

If I am a taxi cab driver and I am involved in an accident what should I do?
You should always take photographs of all the damage that was caused to your vehicle. Go and get several repair estimates for your car before you repair it. Keep track of the days you lost working because of the damages caused to your taxi and also keep an accurate record of your trip sheets for at least one month prior to the accident.

Can I speak to an attorney to see if they can help me with my legal problems?
You can contact our office at 1-888-571-9711 or visit one of our offices to receive a free consultation for your legal matters?

How do I pay the attorney for legal services?
We work on a contingency fee basis for personal injury matters. We do not get paid if we can not settle your case. We take 33% of the final settlement as our attorney’s fees.

Is there one specific attorney from your firm that will be handling my case?
We have four attorneys that work for our firm. There is no specific attorney that may work on your case. This way you will receive the benefit of our combined insights while working on your case.

What type of education and experience do the attorneys in your firm have?
Click here to read our attorneys' profiles that include their education, training and legal experience.

How long will my case take to settle?
There is no definite set time on how long it will take to settle a case. Depending on the severity of your injuries and the issues of liability can affect the amount of time it can take to resolve your case.

What should I do if I receive letters or bills regarding my accident?
Please provide your attorneys with copies of all letters and bills you receive so we may work on your case appropriately.

Should I make an appointment to speak with the attorney?
You are not required to make an appointment to see your attorney but it is highly recommended so that you may be assured that an attorney will be available to meet with you.